This is one of my favourite garnishes for tropical flavour desserts. Fresh coconut has a very mellow and rich taste which no dried prepackaged stuff can compare. This recipe lightly caramelize the coconut stripes and toast them until they are crunchy. They are so delicious that I can eat them by the handful and forget about using them in my plated desserts!
- 1 fresh coconut, opened and cut the flesh into thin stripes using vegetable peeler
- 100mL simple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with silicon liner such as Silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the coconut stripes and syrup until the coconut stripes are evenly coated. Spread evenly on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes and shuffle the coconut on the tray so that they can caramelize evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes or until they're lightly browned.
- The coconut will turn a little crispy after they're cooled on baking tray. Store in airtight container.